Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Conspirator - My Review


The Conspirator  -  2010  Directed by Robert Redford

There was a time when a new movie by or starring Robert Redford was a big deal to me. No longer. Now it is just further proof that this legends prime has passed him by.

The film is about the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln but it is not interested in Lincoln or facts for that matter. What it is interested in is Mary Surrat (Robin Wright) and her attorney (James McAvoy) and whether or not she was involved in the conspiracy plot. What should have been a gripping courtroom drama is instead an emotionally void, lengthy and many times bland film filled with many stars but lacking any power.

I feel like Dennis Hopper in True Romance when I say history fascinates me. It always has. I have read many books on Lincoln, his presidency, John Wilkes Booth and the plot to kill Lincoln and this movie reminded me and made me wish for those books rather than this film.

Rating: 4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment