Monday, November 26, 2012

The Campaign - My Review

The Campaign  -  2012  Directed By Jay Roach

The Campaign is a raunchy, lowest common denominator movie about a career political hack (Will Ferrell) who suddenly finds himself in a tight election against a competitor being funded by BIG corporation (Zach Galifianakis). They then engage in a no holds barred, no rules permitted campaign that I believe even a real politician would say, "They went too far."

Any hopes of scathing political satire or even funny jokes is lost early on when it becomes clear that the director and its stars are only interested in throwing out crude, obvious jokes at a stunning, dizzying rate and hoping that some stick. Well for me none did.

The timing of this films release, in a presidential election year, gave me hope that the creators had lofty aspirations for this movie. Sadly I was mistaken. Lately it seems that comedy has become a dumping ground for loud, crude, rude, obnoxious, offensive and worst of all, not funny movies. If this is the state of current comedy, and unfortunately I believe it is, I want no part of it.

Rating: 2 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment