Friday, November 23, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman - My Review


The Amazing Spiderman  -  2012  Directed By Marc Webb

To me the crowning achievement in comic book films was Sam Raimi's 2004 film Spiderman 2. However, after the disaster that was Spiderman 3 I could understand the need to reboot the franchise and start fresh.

Problem is, there is nothing fresh here. Andrew Garfield is suitable as Peter Parker but in no way up to the task as was Tobey Maguire. (In fact, Maguire was so good as Parker that it made the scenes of Spiderman anti-climatic) Emma Stone's acting seems forced and many scenes you can see her trying to be coy and shy instead of just owning it. The story is serviceable but you know somethings not right when your only looking at it through the prism of the first 3 movies.

And then there is the special effects, aka the CGI. When I go to a movie I want to be blown away by the effects and ask myself after, how did they do that?! What I don't want is to see how they did it as it is happening cause it is being done so bad which happens time after time in this unnecessary film. If it doesn't work then spend a few extra million and make it work or just get rid of it!

Director Marc Webb immediately jumped on my radar after his film (500) Days of Summer. It was an assuredly confident Romantic comedy with flawless performances all around. Sadly, none of the elements that he worked so well in that film are on display here.

Rating: 4 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Great to see someone else who didn't think Amazing Spider-Man was good. I think people are fooled that a serious approach automatically means quality. The tone and look of the original felt more like what Spider-Man should be. This movie tried so hard to be something it's not.

    ReplyDelete